Yuan snaps 3-day losing streak on surprise China factory growth, hopes for Fed pause

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"><head><title>Yuan snaps 3-day losing streak on surprise China factory growth, hopes for Fed pause</title></head><body>

By Georgina Lee

HONG KONG, June 1 (Reuters) -China's yuan firmed against the dollar on Thursday, recouping some ground after three straight days of losses that dragged it to six-month lows.

Sentiment was boosted by a private business survey which showed Chinese factory activity unexpectedly swung back to growth in May, and by hints from U.S. Federal Reserve officials that it may pause interest rate hikes this month while policymakers await more data.

The Caixin/S&P Global manufacturing purchasing managers' index (PMI) rose to 50.9 in May from 49.5 in April, above the 50-point index mark that separates growth from contraction, beating expectations.

This contrasted with official factory activity data on Wednesday which showed a bigger than expected decline on weakening demand, the main reason leading to the yuan's decline in the earlier session.

Still the yuan's gains could be short-lived, as investors will likely need to see more monetary and fiscal support before they change their view that China's post-pandemic recovery is losing steam. The yuan skidded about 2.6% in May, ending the month at its weakest close since Nov. 30.

"Investors seems to have given up hopes on China's growth acceleration. The recent raft of data has not given them a strong conviction on a recovery," said Kiyong Seong, lead Asia macro strategist for Societe Generale.

Spot yuan CNY=CFXS opened at 7.1060 per dollar and was changing hands at 7.0974 at midday, 116 pips or 0.2% stronger than the previous late session close and 0.01% weaker than the midpoint.

The People's Bank of China set the midpoint rate CNY=PBOC at 7.0965 per U.S. dollar prior to market open, weaker than the previous fix 7.0821. The spot rate is allowed to trade in a range 2% above or below the official fixing on any given day.

The global dollar index .DXY fell to 104.227 from the previous close of 104.326.

Federal Reserve officials on Wednesday pointed towards a rate hike "skip"in June, although governor and vice chair nominee Philip Jefferson said any decision to hold rates steady should not be viewed as the end of its tightening cycle.

Following their comments, Fed funds futures have factored in a 70% chance the Fed will keep rates unchanged next month, up sharply from a 30% probability earlier. The wide interest rate gap between China and the U.S. has been the key factor weighing on the yuan in recent months.

As Chinese equities have slipped to their lowest since November, the decline in equity inflows means that the yuan softness could persist until there are signs of improvement in both investment and consumption, said DBS in a research note on Thursday.

The offshore yuan CNH=D3 was trading 0.19% weaker than the onshore spot at 7.1111 per dollar.

The one-year forward value for the offshore yuan CNH1YOR= traded at 6.9106 per dollar, indicating a roughly 2.90% appreciation within 12 months.

The yuan market at 3:46AM GMT:






PBOC midpoint CNY=SAEC




Spot yuan CNY=CFXS




Divergence from midpoint*


Spot change YTD


Spot change since 2005 revaluation


Key indexes:





Dollar index




*Divergence of the dollar/yuan exchange rate. Negative number indicates that spot yuan is trading stronger than the midpoint. The People's Bank of China (PBOC) allows the exchange rate to rise or fall 2% from official midpoint rate it sets each morning.




Difference from onshore

Offshore spot yuan CNH= *



Offshore non-deliverable forwards CNY1YNDFOR= **



*Premium for offshore spot over onshore CNY=CFXS

**Figure reflects difference from PBOC's official midpoint, since non-deliverable forwards are settled against the midpoint. CNY=SAEC.

Reporting by Georgina Lee; Editing by Kim Coghill


Rechtlicher Hinweis: Die Unternehmen der XM Group bieten Dienstleistungen ausschließlich zur Ausführung an sowie Zugang zu unserer Online-Handelsplattform. Durch diese können Personen die verfügbaren Inhalte auf oder über die Internetseite betrachten und/oder nutzen. Eine Änderung oder Erweiterung dieser Regelung ist nicht vorgesehen und findet nicht statt. Der Zugang wird stets geregelt durch folgende Vorschriften: (i) Allgemeine Geschäftsbedingungen; (ii) Risikowarnungen und (iii) Vollständiger rechtlicher Hinweis. Die bereitgestellten Inhalte sind somit lediglich als allgemeine Informationen zu verstehen. Bitte beachten Sie, dass die Inhalte auf unserer Online-Handelsplattform keine Aufforderung und kein Angebot zum Abschluss von Transaktionen auf den Finanzmärkten darstellen. Der Handel auf Finanzmärkten birgt ein hohes Risiko für Ihr eingesetztes Kapital.

Sämtliche Materialien, die auf unserer Online-Handelsplattform veröffentlicht sind, dienen ausschließlich dem Zweck der Weiterbildung und Information. Die Materialien beinhalten keine Beratung und Empfehlung im Hinblick auf Finanzen, Anlagesteuer oder Handel und sollten nicht als eine dahingehende Beratung und Empfehlung aufgefasst werden. Zudem enthalten die Materialien keine Aufzeichnungen unserer Handelspreise sowie kein Angebot und keine Aufforderung für jegliche Transaktionen mit Finanzinstrumenten oder unverlangte Werbemaßnahmen für Sie zum Thema Finanzen. Die Materialien sollten auch nicht dahingehend aufgefasst werden.

Alle Inhalte von Dritten und die von XM bereitgestellten Inhalte sowie die auf dieser Internetseite zur Verfügung gestellten Meinungen, Nachrichten, Forschungsergebnisse, Analysen, Kurse, sonstigen Informationen oder Links zu Seiten von Dritten werden ohne Gewähr bereitgestellt. Sie sind als allgemeine Kommentare zum Marktgeschehen zu verstehen und stellen keine Anlageberatung dar. Soweit ein Inhalt als Anlageforschung aufgefasst wird, müssen Sie beachten und akzeptieren, dass der Inhalt nicht in Übereinstimmung mit gesetzlichen Bestimmungen zur Förderung der Unabhängigkeit der Anlageforschung erstellt wurde. Somit ist der Inhalt als Werbemitteilung unter Beachtung der geltenden Gesetze und Vorschriften anzusehen. Bitte stellen Sie sicher, dass Sie unseren Hinweis auf die nicht unabhängige Anlageforschung und die Risikowarnung im Hinblick auf die vorstehenden Informationen gelesen und zur Kenntnis genommen haben, die Sie hier finden.

Wir verwenden Cookies, um unsere Website für Sie besonders nutzerfreundlich zu gestalten. Mehr darüber und Ihre Einstellmöglichkeiten finden Sie in den Cookie-Einstellungen.

Risikowarnung: Es bestehen Risiken für Ihr eingesetztes Kapital. Gehebelte Produkte sind nicht für alle Anleger geeignet. Bitte beachten Sie unseren Risikohinweis.