Will Canada’s CPIs impact BoC rate expectations? – Forex News Preview



The Bank of Canada is the only G7 central bank to deliver a whole percentage-point rate increase in this post-pandemic hike race, and it did so just at its latest gathering, in July. However, the aftermath revealed another month of job losses for Canada, and with that in mind, market participants may keep a close eye on the CPIs today, due out at 12:30 GMT, as they try to figure out how the Bank is likely to move forward with this tightening cycle.

Language and projections accompanying the BoC’s July hike

When it last met, the BoC decided to raise its main interest rate by 100bps to 2.50%, its biggest increase since 1998, signaling that more rate hikes were on the way. The Bank forecast inflation to remain at around 8% YoY during the end of this quarter, and to finish the year at 7.5% YoY, while seeing a strong slowdown to 3.2% in Q4 2023, and eventually touching its target in 2024. It also cut its economic growth forecasts, dragging the YoY rates of this year and the next down to 2.6% and 1.8%, from 3.8% and 2.9% respectively.

Having said that though, officials noted that the slower growth is “largely due to the impact of high inflation and tighter financial conditions on consumption and household spending,” which justifies their view with regards to taking rates higher to tame extremely high inflation.

What does market pricing suggest for the next gathering?

Since then, data showed that inflation continued to accelerate in June, to 8.1% YoY from 7.7%, but also that the economy lost jobs for the second consecutive month in July, despite the unemployment rate staying at a record low of 4.9%.

Although the former may have encouraged some to bet on another bold move at the September gathering, perhaps a 75bps rate increase, the labor-market data gave them second thoughts. Indeed, market participants are now assigning only a 10% chance for a 75bps hike, while the remaining 90% is for 50bps. As for the rest of the year, the implied rate points to 50bps higher, which means a quarter-point increase at each of the October and December meetings.

Inflation to slow, but how much can it impact the loonie?

As for today’s data, the forecast for the headline rate points to a slowdown to 7.6% YoY from 8.1%, something that could add credence to the view for slower hikes moving forward. There is no consensus neither for the core rate nor for the trimmed-mean and median ones. That said, with the market already expecting the BoC to shift back to a half-point hike, and even smaller increases thereafter, the Canadian dollar may not feel much heat.

For the loonie to come under selling interest, the inflation rate may need to miss its own forecast, which could raise speculation over a quicker slowdown in consumer prices, and thereby smaller rate increases by the BoC at the upcoming meetings. It may even prompt some participants to shift their bets for the upcoming gathering to a 25bps increase. A miss in today’s data could result in an extension of yesterday’s rally in dollar/loonie, and perhaps a break above the 1.2985 barrier, marked by the high of August 5. Such a break could carry larger bullish implications, perhaps sending the pair to the peak of July 14, at 1.3225.

Alternatively, for loonie traders to get excited and start adding long positions, inflation may need to come in higher than the consensus. This could solidify the notion for a double hike at the BoC’s upcoming gathering, and if we do get further acceleration, bets over a triple hike may increase. Dollar/loonie may slide to the upside support line drawn from the April 5 low, or near the 1.2730 zone, marked as a support by the low of August 11. That said, the move signaling that the bears have taken full control may be a dip below that key territory. Such a break may unlock and open the door for declines towards the low of June 8, at 1.2515.

최신 뉴스

Nonfarm payrolls: More bad news for the Fed? – Forex News Preview


RBNZ to stick to its guns, eyes on guidance – Forex News Preview


Week Ahead – RBA and RBNZ to weigh 50-bps hikes but NFP report to set the mood


Can the RBA bring the aussie back to life? – Forex News Preview


면책조항: XM Group 회사는 체결 전용 서비스와 온라인 거래 플랫폼에 대한 접근을 제공하여, 개인이 웹사이트에서 또는 웹사이트를 통해 이용 가능한 콘텐츠를 보거나 사용할 수 있도록 허용합니다. 이에 대해 변경하거나 확장할 의도는 없습니다. 이러한 접근 및 사용에는 다음 사항이 항상 적용됩니다: (i) 이용 약관, (ii) 위험 경고, (iii) 완전 면책조항. 따라서, 이러한 콘텐츠는 일반적인 정보에 불과합니다. 특히, 온라인 거래 플랫폼의 콘텐츠는 금융 시장에서의 거래에 대한 권유나 제안이 아닙니다. 금융 시장에서의 거래는 자본에 상당한 위험을 수반합니다.

온라인 거래 플랫폼에 공개된 모든 자료는 교육/정보 목적으로만 제공되며, 금융, 투자세 또는 거래 조언 및 권고, 거래 가격 기록, 금융 상품 또는 원치 않는 금융 프로모션의 거래 제안 또는 권유를 포함하지 않으며, 포함해서도 안됩니다.

이 웹사이트에 포함된 모든 의견, 뉴스, 리서치, 분석, 가격, 기타 정보 또는 제3자 사이트에 대한 링크와 같이 XM이 준비하는 콘텐츠 뿐만 아니라, 제3자 콘텐츠는 일반 시장 논평으로서 "현재" 기준으로 제공되며, 투자 조언으로 여겨지지 않습니다. 모든 콘텐츠가 투자 리서치로 해석되는 경우, 투자 리서치의 독립성을 촉진하기 위해 고안된 법적 요건에 따라 콘텐츠가 의도되지 않았으며, 준비되지 않았다는 점을 인지하고 동의해야 합니다. 따라서, 관련 법률 및 규정에 따른 마케팅 커뮤니케이션이라고 간주됩니다. 여기에서 접근할 수 있는 앞서 언급한 정보에 대한 비독립 투자 리서치 및 위험 경고 알림을 읽고, 이해하시기 바랍니다.

우리는 웹사이트에서 최고의 경험을 전해드리기 위해 쿠키를 사용하고 있습니다. 자세히 읽거나 쿠키 설정을 변경하세요.

리스크 경고: 고객님의 자본이 위험에 노출 될 수 있습니다. 레버리지 상품은 모든 분들에게 적합하지 않을수 있습니다. 당사의 리스크 공시를 참고하시기 바랍니다.