TOKYO OLYMPICS: What you need to know right now
(corrects competitors in women's relay in 14th paragraph)
July 31 (Reuters) - A world record swim by Caeleb Dressel helped the United States close the gap with China and Japan at the top of the medal tally on Saturday as compatriot Simone Biles bowed out of two more gymnastic events.
Here's what you need to know about the Tokyo Games:
DRESSEL AND LEDECKY COME TO US AID
Caeleb Dressel and Katie Ledecky added to the U.S. gold medal haul Link at the Tokyo Games on Saturday while Australia picked up an incredible seventh title and Britain won the Olympics' inaugural mixed 4x100 medley relay for their fourth swimming gold.
It has been a disappointing Games so far for the U.S. swim team, whose eight golds are just half their tally from Rio, but the performances of their biggest names gave them reason to celebrate on the penultimate day in the pool.
The U.S. was third on the gold medal tally Link with 16 medals about 4:30 p.m. local time. China had top billing with 20 gold, while host nation Japan has 17.
SOVIET CHAMP 'A LITTLE AFRAID'
Like much of the world, 86-year-old Soviet champion Larisa Latynina Link was stunned to see Biles withdraw from the team event on Tuesday night after a single vault.
Latynina, whose record of nine Olympic gold medals Biles came into Tokyo to beat, said that modern gymnastics had become more physically and psychologically gruelling than in her day.
"What we did is not comparable to what modern gymnasts do," she told Reuters in an interview at her home in a village two hours outside Moscow on Friday. "Looking at what gymnasts today do, I'm a little afraid. Would I have started gymnastics or not?"
Biles will not compete Link in the vault and uneven bar apparatus finals, USA Gymnastics said in a statement on Saturday.
"She will continue to be evaluated daily to determine whether to compete in the finals for floor exercise and balance beam."
FIELDS OUT OF ICU
American BMX racer Connor Fields suffered a brain haemorrhage Link during a horror crash in Friday's Olympic event, but has been moved out of intensive care, his team said.
Fields went down hard in a first-corner crash during the semi-final runs and was treated by the side of the circuit before being rushed to Tokyo's St. Luke's International Hospital.
"After a night in the ICU, the doctors are pleased to report that there has been no additional bleeding, and no new injuries were found," USA Cycling said. "Fields has been moved out of the critical care unit and will remain in the hospital until cleared."
WHAT WE'RE WATCHING FOR (local time)
- Women's 100 metre final at 9:50 p.m.: Ivorian Marie-Josee Ta Lou takes on the Jamaicans Elaine Thompson-Herah and Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce in the blue ribbon athletics event.
- Mixed 4x400 metre relay at 9:35 p.m.: The United States and the Dominican Republic were reinstated after an earlier disqualification, ensuring a thrilling final in the event's debut.
- China v Taiwan at 8:30 p.m.: The badminton rivals will battle it out for the gold in the men's doubles.
- Tennis women's singles about 6 p.m.: Czech Marketa Vondrousova takes on Belinda Bencic, of Switzerland, on centre court.
- Judo mixed team medals from 5 p.m.: Japan has a chance at another gold to add to their record haul in the mixed team final.
- Archery men's individual medals from 4:30 p.m.: Turkey takes on Italy in the gold medal match.
- Weightlifting men's 96kg medal lifts from 7:50 p.m.
- ROC v France in women's fencing sabre gold at 7:30 p.m.
- Men's discus final at 8:15 p.m.
Editing by Leela de Kretser, Ken Ferris and Karishma Singh
면책조항: XM Group 회사는 체결 전용 서비스와 온라인 거래 플랫폼에 대한 접근을 제공하여, 개인이 웹사이트에서 또는 웹사이트를 통해 이용 가능한 콘텐츠를 보거나 사용할 수 있도록 허용합니다. 이에 대해 변경하거나 확장할 의도는 없습니다. 이러한 접근 및 사용에는 다음 사항이 항상 적용됩니다: (i) 이용 약관, (ii) 위험 경고, (iii) 완전 면책조항. 따라서, 이러한 콘텐츠는 일반적인 정보에 불과합니다. 특히, 온라인 거래 플랫폼의 콘텐츠는 금융 시장에서의 거래에 대한 권유나 제안이 아닙니다. 금융 시장에서의 거래는 자본에 상당한 위험을 수반합니다.
온라인 거래 플랫폼에 공개된 모든 자료는 교육/정보 목적으로만 제공되며, 금융, 투자세 또는 거래 조언 및 권고, 거래 가격 기록, 금융 상품 또는 원치 않는 금융 프로모션의 거래 제안 또는 권유를 포함하지 않으며, 포함해서도 안됩니다.
이 웹사이트에 포함된 모든 의견, 뉴스, 리서치, 분석, 가격, 기타 정보 또는 제3자 사이트에 대한 링크와 같이 XM이 준비하는 콘텐츠 뿐만 아니라, 제3자 콘텐츠는 일반 시장 논평으로서 "현재" 기준으로 제공되며, 투자 조언으로 여겨지지 않습니다. 모든 콘텐츠가 투자 리서치로 해석되는 경우, 투자 리서치의 독립성을 촉진하기 위해 고안된 법적 요건에 따라 콘텐츠가 의도되지 않았으며, 준비되지 않았다는 점을 인지하고 동의해야 합니다. 따라서, 관련 법률 및 규정에 따른 마케팅 커뮤니케이션이라고 간주됩니다. 여기에서 접근할 수 있는 앞서 언급한 정보에 대한 비독립 투자 리서치 및 위험 경고 알림을 읽고, 이해하시기 바랍니다.