U.S. yields climb despite 'not at all hawkish' Fed minutes



By Davide Barbuscia

NEW YORK, Aug 17 (Reuters) - U.S. Treasury yields climbed on Wednesday on lingering inflation concerns even as some investors saw minutes of the U.S. Federal Reserve's July meeting reaffirming a less aggressive stance in the central bank's fight against rising prices.

Fed officials said last month the pace of future interest rate increases would hinge on incoming data. The minutes did not indicate clear bias among officials for either a smaller rate increase of half a percentage point or a third consecutive 75 basis-point hike at the Sept. 20-21 meeting.

Data since the Fed's last policy meeting showed annual consumer inflation eased in July, which led many investors to price in a 50-basis-point rate increase next month. U.S. producer prices also fell last month as energy products cost less.

Benchmark 10-year yields US10YT=RR dipped about two basis points after the minutes were released while two-year note yields US2YT=RR fell by about five basis points from 3.335% to 3.285%. Still, they closed higher, at 2.894% and 3.293%, respectively.

"The minutes are not hawkish at all, and that's probably why we're seeing yields dip a little bit," said Edward Moya, senior market analyst at OANDA.

"But I think we are data dependent, and everyone's going focus on next week's Jackson Hole, which will probably just reinforce that narrative," he added, referring to the Kansas City Fed's Jackson Hole, Wyoming, symposium on Aug. 25-27.

Fed funds futures traders priced in a 59.5% chance of a 50 basis-point hike in September and a 40.5% chance of a 75 basis-point increase after the minutes were released. Earlier on Wednesday bets were more skewed toward a 75 basis-point hike.

For Thomas Hayes, chairman and managing member of New York-based Great Hill Capital, for rates to stop climbing investors will need more evidence that inflation has peaked.

"I think that the market wants to see some more confirmatory inflation data, which we'll see in early September with the CPI (Consumer Price Index) and the PPI (Producer Price Index)," he said.

The U.S. central bank has raised its benchmark overnight interest rate by 225 basis points since March to fight four decade-high inflation but its rapid tightening of financial conditions has led investors to weigh inflation concerns against recessionary fears, with markets oscillating between the two narratives.

U.S. retail sales were unchanged in July as declining gasoline prices weighed on receipts at service stations, but consumer spending appeared to be holding up, which could further assuage fears that the economy was already in recession.

"While overall retail sales were unchanged in July, the details were far more encouraging, with a price-related fall in gasoline sales freeing up households to increase spending on other goods," Michael Pearce, senior U.S. economist at Capital Economics, said in a note.

Treasury yields edged higher after the retail sales data.

Signals that inflation remains hot around the globe fueled concerns that central banks will likely continue their tightening.

New Zealand's central bank on Wednesday delivered its seventh straight interest rate hike and signaled a more hawkish tightening path over coming months, while British consumer price inflation jumped to 10.1% in July, its highest in just over 40 years.

August 17 Wednesday 3:00PM New York / 1900 GMT

Price

Current Net

Yield % Change

(bps) Three-month bills US3MT=RR 2.5875

2.6407

-0.020 Six-month bills US6MT=RR

3.0325

3.1225

0.007 Two-year note US2YT=RR

99-115/256 3.2932

0.042 Three-year note US3YT=RR

99-146/256 3.2769

0.086 Five-year note US5YT=RR

98-166/256 3.046

0.086 Seven-year note US7YT=RR

97-190/256 2.987

0.082 10-year note US10YT=RR

98-192/256 2.8949

0.071 20-year bond US20YT=RR

98-28/256

3.3818

0.062 30-year bond US30YT=RR

97-32/256

3.1488

0.034

DOLLAR SWAP SPREADS

Last (bps) Net

Change

(bps)

U.S. 2-year dollar swap

32.25

2.75

spread

U.S. 3-year dollar swap

11.50

0.50

spread

U.S. 5-year dollar swap

3.50

0.50

spread

U.S. 10-year dollar swap

4.75

0.75

spread

U.S. 30-year dollar swap

-31.50

0.75

spread


Reporting by Davide Barbuscia; Editing by Hugh Lawson and Richard Chang

Disclaimer: Ang mga kabilang sa XM Group ay nagbibigay lang ng serbisyo sa pagpapatupad at pag-access sa aming Online Trading Facility, kung saan pinapahintulutan nito ang pagtingin at/o paggamit sa nilalaman na makikita sa website o sa pamamagitan nito, at walang layuning palitan o palawigin ito, at hindi din ito papalitan o papalawigin. Ang naturang pag-access at paggamit ay palaging alinsunod sa: (i) Mga Tuntunin at Kundisyon; (ii) Mga Babala sa Risk; at (iii) Kabuuang Disclaimer. Kaya naman ang naturang nilalaman ay ituturing na pangkalahatang impormasyon lamang. Mangyaring isaalang-alang na ang mga nilalaman ng aming Online Trading Facility ay hindi paglikom, o alok, para magsagawa ng anumang transaksyon sa mga pinansyal na market. Ang pag-trade sa alinmang pinansyal na market ay nagtataglay ng mataas na lebel ng risk sa iyong kapital.

Lahat ng materyales na nakalathala sa aming Online Trading Facility ay nakalaan para sa layuning edukasyonal/pang-impormasyon lamang at hindi naglalaman – at hindi dapat ituring bilang naglalaman – ng payo at rekomendasyon na pangpinansyal, tungkol sa buwis sa pag-i-invest, o pang-trade, o tala ng aming presyo sa pag-trade, o alok para sa, o paglikom ng, transaksyon sa alinmang pinansyal na instrument o hindi ginustong pinansyal na promosyon.

Sa anumang nilalaman na galing sa ikatlong partido, pati na ang mga nilalaman na inihanda ng XM, ang mga naturang opinyon, balita, pananaliksik, pag-analisa, presyo, ibang impormasyon o link sa ibang mga site na makikita sa website na ito ay ibibigay tulad ng nandoon, bilang pangkalahatang komentaryo sa market at hindi ito nagtataglay ng payo sa pag-i-invest. Kung ang alinmang nilalaman nito ay itinuring bilang pananaliksik sa pag-i-invest, kailangan mong isaalang-alang at tanggapin na hindi ito inilaan at inihanda alinsunod sa mga legal na pangangailangan na idinisenyo para maisulong ang pagsasarili ng pananaliksik sa pag-i-invest, at dahil dito ituturing ito na komunikasyon sa marketing sa ilalim ng mga kaugnay na batas at regulasyon. Mangyaring siguruhin na nabasa at naintindihan mo ang aming Notipikasyon sa Hindi Independyenteng Pananaliksik sa Pag-i-invest at Babala sa Risk na may kinalaman sa impormasyong nakalagay sa itaas, na maa-access dito.

Gumagamit kami ng cookies para mabigyan ka ng mahusay na karanasan sa aming website. Magbasa pa o palitan ang iyong cookie settings.

Babala sa Risk: Maaaring malugi ang iyong kapital. Maaaring hindi nababagay sa lahat ang mga produktong naka-leverage. Mangyaring isaalang-alang ang aming Pahayag sa Risk.