Asian stocks retreat on global recession angst; dollar firm



By Kevin Buckland

TOKYO, Oct 7 (Reuters) - Asian stocks declined on Friday, extending a global equity slide to a third day, as investors fretted over recession risks amid signs of further aggressive central bank policy tightening.

The dollar and Treasury yields remained elevated after multiple Federal Reserve officials continued to talk up additional rate hikes ahead of a crucial U.S. jobs report later in the day, while rising crude oil prices compounded concerns about prolonged inflation.

Japan's Nikkei .N225 dropped 0.7% as of 0130 GMT, pulling back from a two-week high reached on Thursday.

South Korea's Kospi .KS11 slipped 0.33%, weighed partly by a decline in Samsung Electronics 005930.KS shares, after the technology giant flagged a worse-than-expected 32% drop in quarterly operating earnings. Australia's stock benchmark .AXJO retreated 0.59%.

Hong Kong's Hang Seng .HSI was 1.17% lower in early trade, with its tech stocks .HSTECH tumbling 2.32%. Mainland shares remain closed for the final day of the Golden Week holiday.

MSCI's broadest index of Asia-Pacific shares .MIAP00000PUS declined 0.85%.

Meanwhile, U.S. emini S&P500 futures EScv1 pointed 0.12% lower, after the index .SPX dropped 1% overnight.

Fed officials showed no intention of backing down from the most aggressive rate hike campaign in decades, with Fed Governor Lisa Cook, Chicago Fed President Charles Evans and Minneapolis Fed President Neel Kashkari all emphasising that the inflation fight was ongoing and they were not prepared to change course.

Stocks started the week on a strong footing, with the MSCI world equity index .MIWO00000PUS rallying 5.65% in the first two days amid speculation that the pace of central bank tightening might slow, but that has fizzled out since Wednesday.

Markets currently price an 85.5% chance of a 75 basis point increase for next month's Federal Open Market Committee meeting, and 14.5% odds for a half point bump. FEDWATCH

Investors will now be looking to Friday's non-farm payrolls report for some clarity as to whether a steady diet of rate hikes has begun to take a bite out of hiring and wage inflation.

"Ongoing hawkish comments by Fed officials (are) a clear pushback on the 'Fed will pivot' narrative that has supported risk assets since the beginning of the week," said Tapas Strickland, head of market economics at National Australia Bank.

"Some positioning ahead of U.S. payrolls tonight is also probably a factor. Given the rally in risk assets earlier in the week, the pain trade would seem to be a 'good news is bad news' print."

The yield on the benchmark 10-year Treasury note US10YT=RR was at 3.8297% in Tokyo trading, little changed from its New York close following a two-day rebound from a two-week low of 3.5620%.

The dollar index .DXY , which tracks the greenback versus a basket of six major peers, was little changed at 112.24 following a 1.84% two-day rally from a two-week low.

Sterling GBP=D3 sagged near its lowest level this week, last changing hands at $1.1164, while the euro sank to the lowest since Monday at $0.9787.

Japan's yen JPY=EBS weakened past 145 again overnight and fluctuated around that level in early Friday trading. Japanese authorities intervened to support their currency for the first time since 1998 on Sept. 22 following a break of the 145 level.

Crude oil on Friday continued the climb triggered by OPEC+ output cuts announced this week.

Brent crude LCOc1 futures rose 19 cents to $94.61 a barrel. WTI crude CLc1 futures rose 24 cents to $88.69 a barrel, after earlier hitting $89.37 per barrel, the highest since Sept. 14.



World FX rates YTD Link
Global asset performance Link
Asian stock markets Link



Reporting by Kevin Buckland; Editing by Ana Nicolaci da Costa


Disclaimer: The XM Group entities provide execution-only service and access to our Online Trading Facility, permitting a person to view and/or use the content available on or via the website, is not intended to change or expand on this, nor does it change or expand on this. Such access and use are always subject to: (i) Terms and Conditions; (ii) Risk Warnings; and (iii) Full Disclaimer. Such content is therefore provided as no more than general information. Particularly, please be aware that the contents of our Online Trading Facility are neither a solicitation, nor an offer to enter any transactions on the financial markets. Trading on any financial market involves a significant level of risk to your capital.

All material published on our Online Trading Facility is intended for educational/informational purposes only, and does not contain – nor should it be considered as containing – financial, investment tax or trading advice and recommendations; or a record of our trading prices; or an offer of, or solicitation for, a transaction in any financial instruments; or unsolicited financial promotions to you.

Any third-party content, as well as content prepared by XM, such as: opinions, news, research, analyses, prices and other information or links to third-party sites contained on this website are provided on an “as-is” basis, as general market commentary, and do not constitute investment advice. To the extent that any content is construed as investment research, you must note and accept that the content was not intended to and has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research and as such, it would be considered as marketing communication under the relevant laws and regulations. Please ensure that you have read and understood our Notification on Non-Independent Investment. Research and Risk Warning concerning the foregoing information, which can be accessed here.

We are using cookies to give you the best experience on our website. Read more or change your cookie settings.

Risk Warning: Your capital is at risk. Leveraged products may not be suitable for everyone. Please consider our Risk Disclosure.