Baltic index falls to 11-month low as rates slide across vessels
Jan 18 (Reuters) - The Baltic Exchange's dry bulk sea freight index .BADI dropped to an 11-month low on Tuesday, pressured by weaker demand across all vessel segments.
* The overall index, which factors in rates for capesize, panamax and supramax vessels, fell 87 points, or 5%, to 1,644, its lowest level since mid-February.
* The capesize index .BACI dropped 153 points, or 10.5%, to 1,316, its lowest since February.
* Average daily earnings for capesize vessels, which transport 150,000-tonne cargoes such as iron ore and coal, dropped by $1,277 to $10,913.
* The panamax index .BPNI slipped 103 points, or 4.4%, to its lowest since April at 2,223.
* Average daily earnings for panamax vessels, which ferry 60,000-70,000 tonne coal or grain cargoes, fell $924 to $20,011.
* The supramax index .BSIS eased 24 points to 1,840.
Reporting by Brijesh Patel in Bengaluru; Editing by Shinjini Ganguli
Disclaimer: The XM Group entities provide execution-only service and access to our Online Trading Facility, permitting a person to view and/or use the content available on or via the website, is not intended to change or expand on this, nor does it change or expand on this. Such access and use are always subject to: (i) Terms and Conditions; (ii) Risk Warnings; and (iii) Full Disclaimer. Such content is therefore provided as no more than general information. Particularly, please be aware that the contents of our Online Trading Facility are neither a solicitation, nor an offer to enter any transactions on the financial markets. Trading on any financial market involves a significant level of risk to your capital.
All material published on our Online Trading Facility is intended for educational/informational purposes only, and does not contain – nor should it be considered as containing – financial, investment tax or trading advice and recommendations; or a record of our trading prices; or an offer of, or solicitation for, a transaction in any financial instruments; or unsolicited financial promotions to you.
Any third-party content, as well as content prepared by XM, such as: opinions, news, research, analyses, prices and other information or links to third-party sites contained on this website are provided on an “as-is” basis, as general market commentary, and do not constitute investment advice. To the extent that any content is construed as investment research, you must note and accept that the content was not intended to and has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research and as such, it would be considered as marketing communication under the relevant laws and regulations. Please ensure that you have read and understood our Notification on Non-Independent Investment. Research and Risk Warning concerning the foregoing information, which can be accessed here.