British Business - April 20
April 20 (Reuters) - The following are the top stories on the business pages of British newspapers. Reuters has not verified these stories and does not vouch for their accuracy.
- The Bank of England and the Treasury have announced that they are setting up a taskforce to explore the possibility of a central bank digital currency. Rishi Sunak, the chancellor, has asked the Bank of England to look at the case for a new "Britcoin", aimed at tackling some of the challenges posed by cryptocurrencies such as bitcoin. Link
- Inflationary pressure is building in the manufacturing sector as the proportion of businesses expecting to increase their prices has risen to the highest level in more than four years. A survey by the British Chambers of Commerce has found that in the first three months of this year price expectations in manufacturing climbed to the highest level since the final quarter of 2017. Link
- Facebook Inc FB.O has announced plans to launch new audio products and features in an aggressive move to take on competitors including Twitter Inc TWTR.N and Clubhouse, an invitation-only audio platform that has generated significant buzz. Link
- The UK government has stepped in to order an investigation of Nvidia Corp's NVDA.O $40 billion takeover of the Cambridge-based chip designer Arm, citing potential national security concerns. Link
- The French government has increased its stake in Air France KLM SA AIRF.PA to more than three times that of the Netherlands, strengthening its grip on the struggling airline. Link
- The buyout specialist Melrose is putting another 100 million pounds ($139.94 million) into engineer GKN's pension pot, fulfilling a key takeover pledge following a major disposal. Link
- Tesco Plc TSCO.L has been fined 7.56 million pounds for selling food past its use-by date at three of its stores. The supermarket admitted 22 breaches of the Food Safety and Hygiene Regulations between 2016 and 2017 following an investigation. Link
- Sky News has learnt that Elementis Plc ELM.L , which makes chemicals used in products such as deodorants, has received an offer from Nasdaq-listed Innospec Inc IOSP.O which values it at more than 1 billion pounds. Link
- Senior managers in HSBC Holdings Plc's HSBA.L headquarters will have to hot desk on an open-plan floor instead of occupying private offices, the banking giant's chief executive, Noel Quinn, has confirmed. Link
($1 = 0.7146 pounds) (Compiled by Bengaluru newsroom)
Disclaimer: The XM Group entities provide execution-only service and access to our Online Trading Facility, permitting a person to view and/or use the content available on or via the website, is not intended to change or expand on this, nor does it change or expand on this. Such access and use are always subject to: (i) Terms and Conditions; (ii) Risk Warnings; and (iii) Full Disclaimer. Such content is therefore provided as no more than general information. Particularly, please be aware that the contents of our Online Trading Facility are neither a solicitation, nor an offer to enter any transactions on the financial markets. Trading on any financial market involves a significant level of risk to your capital.
All material published on our Online Trading Facility is intended for educational/informational purposes only, and does not contain – nor should it be considered as containing – financial, investment tax or trading advice and recommendations; or a record of our trading prices; or an offer of, or solicitation for, a transaction in any financial instruments; or unsolicited financial promotions to you.
Any third-party content, as well as content prepared by XM, such as: opinions, news, research, analyses, prices and other information or links to third-party sites contained on this website are provided on an “as-is” basis, as general market commentary, and do not constitute investment advice. To the extent that any content is construed as investment research, you must note and accept that the content was not intended to and has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research and as such, it would be considered as marketing communication under the relevant laws and regulations. Please ensure that you have read and understood our Notification on Non-Independent Investment. Research and Risk Warning concerning the foregoing information, which can be accessed here.