British Business - Oct. 15
Oct 15 (Reuters) - The following are the top stories on the business pages of British newspapers. Reuters has not verified these stories and does not vouch for their accuracy.
- GlaxoSmithKline Plc GSK.L is embroiled in a row with activist investor Bluebell after it called for the replacement of the drugs group's chairman and chief executive, Jonathan Symonds. Link
- Octopus Energy plans to invest 3 billion pounds ($4.10 billion) in hydrogen plants in Britain by the end of the decade after striking a deal with RES, the giant renewables group. Link
- The University of Cambridge has broken off talks with the United Arab Emirates over a record 400 million pounds collaboration after claims about the Gulf state's use of controversial Pegasus hacking software, the university's vice-chancellor has said. Link
- Amazon.com Inc AMZN.O has urged owners of its Ring security cameras and doorbells – which come with a camera and microphone – to respect neighbours' privacy after a court ruled their use broke data laws. Link
- Microsoft Corp MSFT.O will shut down the Chinese version of its professional networking website LinkedIn, saying it has found it increasingly difficult to comply with the Communist regime's demands for control. Link
- HS2 is poised to award a flagship 2.8 billion pounds train building contract to two manufacturers that failed to meet the rail link's own criteria after a process "shrouded in mystery", the German manufacturing behemoth Siemens AG SIEGn.DE has claimed in the high court. Link
- Pure Gym, which trades from nearly 300 UK sites, is likely to decide by the end of the week whether to cancel a listing on the London Stock Exchange, Sky News learns. Link
- SoftBank's Vision Fund is to lead a new funding round for one of Britain's fintech companies, Zopa, in a deal that will value it at more than 500 million pounds, Sky News learns. Link
- Amazon will push shoppers to buy Christmas gifts four weeks early and expects supply chain disruption to linger until at least spring next year, according to an internal document seen by The Independent. Link
($1 = 0.7314 pounds) (Compiled by Bengaluru newsroom)
Disclaimer: The XM Group entities provide execution-only service and access to our Online Trading Facility, permitting a person to view and/or use the content available on or via the website, is not intended to change or expand on this, nor does it change or expand on this. Such access and use are always subject to: (i) Terms and Conditions; (ii) Risk Warnings; and (iii) Full Disclaimer. Such content is therefore provided as no more than general information. Particularly, please be aware that the contents of our Online Trading Facility are neither a solicitation, nor an offer to enter any transactions on the financial markets. Trading on any financial market involves a significant level of risk to your capital.
All material published on our Online Trading Facility is intended for educational/informational purposes only, and does not contain – nor should it be considered as containing – financial, investment tax or trading advice and recommendations; or a record of our trading prices; or an offer of, or solicitation for, a transaction in any financial instruments; or unsolicited financial promotions to you.
Any third-party content, as well as content prepared by XM, such as: opinions, news, research, analyses, prices and other information or links to third-party sites contained on this website are provided on an “as-is” basis, as general market commentary, and do not constitute investment advice. To the extent that any content is construed as investment research, you must note and accept that the content was not intended to and has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research and as such, it would be considered as marketing communication under the relevant laws and regulations. Please ensure that you have read and understood our Notification on Non-Independent Investment. Research and Risk Warning concerning the foregoing information, which can be accessed here.