Gold flat as investors brace for Evergrande risks, Fed policy decision
Sept 22 (Reuters) - Gold prices were flat on Wednesday amid rising uncertainties triggered by China Evergrande's debt crisis and anticipation of policy cues from the U.S. Federal Reserve on its timeline for reducing stimulus for the world's largest economy.
* Spot gold XAU= was flat at $1,775.63 per ounce, as of 0120 GMT, while U.S. gold futures GCv1 dipped 0.1% to $1,776.30.
* Fed's two-day meet is due to conclude on Wednesday as investors focus on any new signals on when a taper may begin. The U.S. central bank is also likely to provide an outlook on interest rate hikes.
* While gold is considered as a hedge against inflation and currency debasement amid widespread stimulus, a hawkish move by the Fed would diminish gold's appeal. An eventual interest rate hike would also raise the opportunity cost of holding the non-interest bearing asset.
* Asian stock markets made a cautious start on Wednesday, while the dollar held firm near one-month high.
* European Central Bank policymakers still see the recent inflation surge as temporary but a growing number appear to be acknowledging the risk that price growth may exceed their relatively benign projections.
* Holdings of SPDR Gold Trust GLD , the world's largest gold-backed exchange-traded fund, fell 0.1% to 1,000.79 tonnes on Tuesday from 1,001.66 tonnes on Monday.
* Swiss exports of gold to India jumped to a five-month high in August while shipments to China fell, Swiss customs data showed on Tuesday.
* Silver XAG= climbed 1.2% to $22.74 per ounce, while palladium XPD= edged 0.2% higher to $1,910.34.
* Platinum XPT= was steady at $954.28. Prices rose 4.7% on Tuesday, its biggest one-day gain since Feb. 10.
DATA/EVENTS (GMT) 1400 EU Consumer Confid. Flash Sept 1400 US Existing Home Sales
Aug 1800 US Federal Open Market Committee announces its decision on interest rates followed by statement Governing Council of the ECB holds non-monetary policy meeting in Frankfurt
Reporting by Eileen Soreng in Bengaluru; Editing by Sherry Jacob-Phillips
Disclaimer: The XM Group entities provide execution-only service and access to our Online Trading Facility, permitting a person to view and/or use the content available on or via the website, is not intended to change or expand on this, nor does it change or expand on this. Such access and use are always subject to: (i) Terms and Conditions; (ii) Risk Warnings; and (iii) Full Disclaimer. Such content is therefore provided as no more than general information. Particularly, please be aware that the contents of our Online Trading Facility are neither a solicitation, nor an offer to enter any transactions on the financial markets. Trading on any financial market involves a significant level of risk to your capital.
All material published on our Online Trading Facility is intended for educational/informational purposes only, and does not contain – nor should it be considered as containing – financial, investment tax or trading advice and recommendations; or a record of our trading prices; or an offer of, or solicitation for, a transaction in any financial instruments; or unsolicited financial promotions to you.
Any third-party content, as well as content prepared by XM, such as: opinions, news, research, analyses, prices and other information or links to third-party sites contained on this website are provided on an “as-is” basis, as general market commentary, and do not constitute investment advice. To the extent that any content is construed as investment research, you must note and accept that the content was not intended to and has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research and as such, it would be considered as marketing communication under the relevant laws and regulations. Please ensure that you have read and understood our Notification on Non-Independent Investment. Research and Risk Warning concerning the foregoing information, which can be accessed here.