Soybeans recover from deep losses, but record Brazilian crop limits gains
SINGAPORE, March 23 (Reuters) -Chicago soybeans edged higher on Thursday after two sessions of deep losses, although an upgraded forecast for Brazil's all-time-high crop capped further gains.
Wheat rose for the first time in four sessions while corn also edged higher.
* The most-active soybean contract on the Chicago Board of Trade (CBOT) Sv1 was up 0.1% at $14.49-3/4 a bushel, as of 0008 GMT. Corn CV1 edged 0.1% higher at $6.34-1/4 a bushel and wheat Wv1 gained quarter of a cent at $6.63-3/4 a bushel.
* Brazil's soybean output and exports in 2023 will be higher than expected, Brazilian oilseed lobby Abiove said on Wednesday, as local farmers harvest a bumper crop, Chinese demand remains strong and Argentine growers grapple with weather issues.
* Abiove now estimates Brazil's soy production at a record 153.6 million tonnes, 1 million more than the last projection in January.
* Private exporters earlier reported the sale of 178,000 tonnes of corn to China, the U.S. Department of Agriculture said.
* Traders were watching for the USDA's weekly report on net export sales of U.S. grains and soy, due on Thursday.
* Prices of agricultural products are also being weighed down by timely rains in France and elsewhere in western Europe, which eased concerns over dry conditions for their wheat crops.
* Ukraine's grain exports for the 2022/23 season, however, totalled 36.3 million tonnes, as of March 22, hit by a smaller harvest and logistical difficulties caused by Russia's invasion, agriculture ministry data showed on Wednesday.
* The ministry gave no comparative data for the same date in 2022. It said Ukraine had exported 44.8 million tonnes of grain as of March 27, 2022.
* Commodity funds were net sellers of CBOT corn, soybean, wheat, soymeal and soyoil futures contracts on Wednesday, traders said. COMFUND/CBT
U.S. stocks fell from near two-week highs on Wednesday after Federal Reserve Chair Jerome Powell re-stated his commitment to curb inflation even as the Fed signaled it might soon pause future interest rate hikes amid recent turmoil in financial markets. MKTS/GLOB
1200 UK BOE Bank Rate March
1230 US Initial Jobless Clm Weekly
1400 US New Home Sales-Units Feb
1500 EU Consumer Confid, Flash March
Reporting by Naveen Thukral; Editing by Sherry Jacob-Phillips
Disclaimer: The XM Group entities provide execution-only service and access to our Online Trading Facility, permitting a person to view and/or use the content available on or via the website, is not intended to change or expand on this, nor does it change or expand on this. Such access and use are always subject to: (i) Terms and Conditions; (ii) Risk Warnings; and (iii) Full Disclaimer. Such content is therefore provided as no more than general information. Particularly, please be aware that the contents of our Online Trading Facility are neither a solicitation, nor an offer to enter any transactions on the financial markets. Trading on any financial market involves a significant level of risk to your capital.
All material published on our Online Trading Facility is intended for educational/informational purposes only, and does not contain – nor should it be considered as containing – financial, investment tax or trading advice and recommendations; or a record of our trading prices; or an offer of, or solicitation for, a transaction in any financial instruments; or unsolicited financial promotions to you.
Any third-party content, as well as content prepared by XM, such as: opinions, news, research, analyses, prices and other information or links to third-party sites contained on this website are provided on an “as-is” basis, as general market commentary, and do not constitute investment advice. To the extent that any content is construed as investment research, you must note and accept that the content was not intended to and has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research and as such, it would be considered as marketing communication under the relevant laws and regulations. Please ensure that you have read and understood our Notification on Non-Independent Investment. Research and Risk Warning concerning the foregoing information, which can be accessed here.