Sri Lankan shares end higher as financials gain
June 18 (Reuters) - Sri Lankan shares settled higher on Friday, powered by gains in financial stocks with lender LOLC Development Finance LOLD.CM extending gains for a fourth straight session.
* The CSE All-Share Index .CSE closed up 0.74% at 7,715.46.
* Rating agency Fitch Ratings said on Friday it recalibrated its Sri Lanka National Rating scale.
* Earlier this week, Fitch affirmed the country at "CCC", indicating the possibility of a debt default.
* Still, the nation's main stock index .CSE has added 1.4% this week, fuelled mostly by gains in financial stocks.
* Lender LOLC Development Finance LOLD.CM surged 25% and was the top boost. The stock has surged 121% this week.
* Sri Lanka reported 233,064 total confirmed coronavirus cases as of Friday, and 2,425 deaths, according to health ministry data Link
* The island nation has fully vaccinated only 3.22% of the country's population so far, Johns Hopkins data Link showed on Friday.
* After market close on Thursday, the country's central bank said Link earnings from the tourism sector remained subdued in April, but workers' remittances continued to grow compared to the same period last year.
* Trading volume on Friday fell to 73.9 million from 165.9 million in the previous session.
* Foreign investors were net sellers in the equity market, off-loading shares worth 99.8 million rupees, exchange data showed Link
* Equity market turnover was 2.33 billion rupees, according to exchange data.
* For a report on global markets, click
* For a report on major currencies, click
Reporting by Chandini Monnappa in Bengaluru; Editing by Shinjini Ganguli
Disclaimer: The XM Group entities provide execution-only service and access to our Online Trading Facility, permitting a person to view and/or use the content available on or via the website, is not intended to change or expand on this, nor does it change or expand on this. Such access and use are always subject to: (i) Terms and Conditions; (ii) Risk Warnings; and (iii) Full Disclaimer. Such content is therefore provided as no more than general information. Particularly, please be aware that the contents of our Online Trading Facility are neither a solicitation, nor an offer to enter any transactions on the financial markets. Trading on any financial market involves a significant level of risk to your capital.
All material published on our Online Trading Facility is intended for educational/informational purposes only, and does not contain – nor should it be considered as containing – financial, investment tax or trading advice and recommendations; or a record of our trading prices; or an offer of, or solicitation for, a transaction in any financial instruments; or unsolicited financial promotions to you.
Any third-party content, as well as content prepared by XM, such as: opinions, news, research, analyses, prices and other information or links to third-party sites contained on this website are provided on an “as-is” basis, as general market commentary, and do not constitute investment advice. To the extent that any content is construed as investment research, you must note and accept that the content was not intended to and has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research and as such, it would be considered as marketing communication under the relevant laws and regulations. Please ensure that you have read and understood our Notification on Non-Independent Investment. Research and Risk Warning concerning the foregoing information, which can be accessed here.