Sri Lankan shares march higher for 12th day
Aug 15 (Reuters) - Sri Lankan shares on Monday registered their longest gaining streak since January 2021, with a boost from consumer goods and financial stocks taking the CSE All-Share index to its highest in over four months.
* The CSE All-Share index .CSE ended 1.82% higher at 9,191.52, after clocking its fifth straight week of gains on Friday.
* The index is still down 25% so far this year.
* Meanwhile, after market closed on Monday, ratings agency S&P cut its rating on Sri Lanka's bonds two notches down to "D", following missed interest and principal payments. The island nation has faced political upheaval amid its worst financial crisis in more than 70 years.
* Sri Lanka's central bank is due to announce its monetary policy decision on Thursday. The Central Bank of Sri Lanka raised key rates to a 21-year high in July to tackle record high domestic inflation.
* Browns Investments BROW.CM was the top boost to the CSE All-Share index, gaining 8.5%, while conglomerate Softlogic Holdings SOFT.CM surged nearly 25%.
* Trading volume on the index rose to 231.8 million shares from 209.9 million shares in the previous session.
* The equity market turnover was 5.83 billion Sri Lankan rupees ($16.16 million), according to exchange data.
* Foreign investors were net sellers in the equity market, offloading 237.8 million rupees worth of shares, while domestic investors were net buyers, purchasing 5.71 billion rupees worth of shares, the data showed.
* For a report on global markets, click ($1 = 360.7500 Sri Lankan rupees)
Reporting by Chris Thomas in Bengaluru; editing by Uttaresh.V
Disclaimer: The XM Group entities provide execution-only service and access to our Online Trading Facility, permitting a person to view and/or use the content available on or via the website, is not intended to change or expand on this, nor does it change or expand on this. Such access and use are always subject to: (i) Terms and Conditions; (ii) Risk Warnings; and (iii) Full Disclaimer. Such content is therefore provided as no more than general information. Particularly, please be aware that the contents of our Online Trading Facility are neither a solicitation, nor an offer to enter any transactions on the financial markets. Trading on any financial market involves a significant level of risk to your capital.
All material published on our Online Trading Facility is intended for educational/informational purposes only, and does not contain – nor should it be considered as containing – financial, investment tax or trading advice and recommendations; or a record of our trading prices; or an offer of, or solicitation for, a transaction in any financial instruments; or unsolicited financial promotions to you.
Any third-party content, as well as content prepared by XM, such as: opinions, news, research, analyses, prices and other information or links to third-party sites contained on this website are provided on an “as-is” basis, as general market commentary, and do not constitute investment advice. To the extent that any content is construed as investment research, you must note and accept that the content was not intended to and has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research and as such, it would be considered as marketing communication under the relevant laws and regulations. Please ensure that you have read and understood our Notification on Non-Independent Investment. Research and Risk Warning concerning the foregoing information, which can be accessed here.