UK Stocks-Factors to watch on Feb 24
Feb 24 (Reuters) - Britain's FTSE 100 index .FTSE is seen opening lower on Thursday, with futures FFIc1 down 2.04%.
* SANOFI-GSK: French drugmaker Sanofi SASY.PA and its British partner GlaxoSmithKline GSK.L are seeking regulatory approval for their COVID-19 vaccine to be used as a booster, as well as a standalone two-dose shot, after several setbacks.
* IAG: Airlines group IAG ICAG.L is in advanced talks with planemakers on a medium-haul fleet shake-up that may see the British Airways parent opt for Boeing BA.N and Airbus AIR.PA jets to update a European fleet of Airbus narrowbodies, industry sources said.
* HSBC: Executives for London-based HSBC, which controls one of the largest banking operations in Mexico, have told investors the chain is not interested in buying out Citigroup's consumer bank in the country, known as Banamex.
* OFCOM: British media regulator Ofcom said it has stepped up its oversight of Ukraine-related news coverage by broadcasters, adding complaints related to the situation were being expedited "as a matter of urgency".
* METALS: Aluminium and nickel prices drifted closer to multi-year highs, buoyed by fears of supply disruptions from Russia as tensions in eastern Ukraine escalated.
* GOLD: Gold prices rose towards a nine-month high hit earlier this week, as investors sought refuge in safe havens after Ukraine declared an emergency and the West imposed more sanctions on Russia for sending troops into eastern Ukraine.
* OIL: Oil breached $100 a barrel for the first time since 2014 as Russia moved troops into Ukraine, sparking concerns that a war in Europe could disrupt global energy supplies.
* UK shares rose on Wednesday aided by strong earnings from Barclays and gains in consumer staples on the back of a weaker pound, while investors awaited Russia's next move after Western sanctions were imposed on Moscow for ordering troops into separatist regions of eastern Ukraine.
* UK CORPORATE DIARY:
FY results St James Place
FY results WPP
FY results BAE Systems
FY results Lloyds
FY results Hikma Pharmaceuticals
FY results Inchcape
FY results Rathbones Group
FY results Centrica
FY results Serco
FY results Drax
FY results Derwent London
FY results Grafton Group
FY results Hays
FY results Go-Ahead Group
* For more on the factors affecting European stocks, please click on:
TODAY'S UK PAPERS
> Financial Times
> Other business headlines
Reporting by Amna Karimi in Bengaluru
Disclaimer: The XM Group entities provide execution-only service and access to our Online Trading Facility, permitting a person to view and/or use the content available on or via the website, is not intended to change or expand on this, nor does it change or expand on this. Such access and use are always subject to: (i) Terms and Conditions; (ii) Risk Warnings; and (iii) Full Disclaimer. Such content is therefore provided as no more than general information. Particularly, please be aware that the contents of our Online Trading Facility are neither a solicitation, nor an offer to enter any transactions on the financial markets. Trading on any financial market involves a significant level of risk to your capital.
All material published on our Online Trading Facility is intended for educational/informational purposes only, and does not contain – nor should it be considered as containing – financial, investment tax or trading advice and recommendations; or a record of our trading prices; or an offer of, or solicitation for, a transaction in any financial instruments; or unsolicited financial promotions to you.
Any third-party content, as well as content prepared by XM, such as: opinions, news, research, analyses, prices and other information or links to third-party sites contained on this website are provided on an “as-is” basis, as general market commentary, and do not constitute investment advice. To the extent that any content is construed as investment research, you must note and accept that the content was not intended to and has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research and as such, it would be considered as marketing communication under the relevant laws and regulations. Please ensure that you have read and understood our Notification on Non-Independent Investment. Research and Risk Warning concerning the foregoing information, which can be accessed here.