UK Stocks-Factors to watch on Jan. 14
Jan 14 (Reuters) - Britain's FTSE 100 .FTSE index is seen opening 21 points higher at 6,767 on Thursday, according to financial bookmakers.
* Standard Chartered: Standard Chartered Plc's STAN.L investment banking head Simon Cooper has emerged as the internal contender to replace CEO Bill Winters, the Financial Times reported on Wednesday.
* RIO TINTO: Rio Tinto RIO.AX said it had reached an agreement with Meridian Energy MEL.NZ to allow its aluminium smelter in New Zealand to continue operations until December 2024.
* HOUSE PRICES: A boom in Britain's housing market has started to fade, dampened by new COVID-19 lockdowns and the coming expiry of a temporary tax cut for buyers, a survey showed.
* BANKS: The Bank of England said it would do more to quantify potential losses from its 895 billion-pound bond purchase programme, so the government and public are clear how much money is at stake.
* SUPERMARKETS: Britain will trigger safeguard measures in a divorce deal with the European Union if there are "serious problems" in supplying supermarkets in Northern Ireland, Prime Minister Boris Johnson said.
* GOLD: Gold prices inched lower as U.S. Treasury yields and the dollar rebounded, while investors awaited details on incoming U.S. President Joe Biden's coronavirus stimulus proposal.
* OIL: Oil prices eased as mounting coronavirus cases globally raised demand concerns.
* The UK blue-chip index .FTSE closed 0.1% lower on Wednesday as rising coronavirus cases and fresh lockdowns imposed across Europe raised caution about the near-term effects on the economy.
* UK CORPORATE DIARY:
Q3 trading statement Dunelm Group Plc
Q2 trading statement Taylor Wimpey Plc
Trading statement Boohoo Group Plc
Trading statement Blue Prism Group Plc
FY results Centrica Plc
Trading statement Great Portland Estates Plc
Trading statement Safestore Holdings Plc
FY results Card Factory Plc
Trading statement John Wood Group Plc
Trading statement Whitbread Plc
Trading statement Network International Holdings Plc NETW.L
Trading statement Hays Plc
Trading statement Associated British Foods Plc
Trading statement Halfords Group Plc
* For more on the factors affecting European stocks, please click on:
TODAY'S UK PAPERS
> Financial Times
> Other business headlines
Reporting by Priyanshi Mandhan in Bengaluru
Disclaimer: The XM Group entities provide execution-only service and access to our Online Trading Facility, permitting a person to view and/or use the content available on or via the website, is not intended to change or expand on this, nor does it change or expand on this. Such access and use are always subject to: (i) Terms and Conditions; (ii) Risk Warnings; and (iii) Full Disclaimer. Such content is therefore provided as no more than general information. Particularly, please be aware that the contents of our Online Trading Facility are neither a solicitation, nor an offer to enter any transactions on the financial markets. Trading on any financial market involves a significant level of risk to your capital.
All material published on our Online Trading Facility is intended for educational/informational purposes only, and does not contain – nor should it be considered as containing – financial, investment tax or trading advice and recommendations; or a record of our trading prices; or an offer of, or solicitation for, a transaction in any financial instruments; or unsolicited financial promotions to you.
Any third-party content, as well as content prepared by XM, such as: opinions, news, research, analyses, prices and other information or links to third-party sites contained on this website are provided on an “as-is” basis, as general market commentary, and do not constitute investment advice. To the extent that any content is construed as investment research, you must note and accept that the content was not intended to and has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research and as such, it would be considered as marketing communication under the relevant laws and regulations. Please ensure that you have read and understood our Notification on Non-Independent Investment. Research and Risk Warning concerning the foregoing information, which can be accessed here.