UK Stocks-Factors to watch on Jan 8
Jan 8 (Reuters) - Britain's FTSE 100 .FTSE index is seen opening 33 points higher at 6,890 on Friday, according to financial bookmakers.
* SIGNATURE AVIATION: U.S. private equity firm Carlyle CG.O made a takeover approach for London-based Signature Aviation SIGSI.L , setting the stage for a potential bidding war with Blackstone BX.N for the Bill Gates-backed company.
* RETAIL: More than 50 British retailers, including Tesco TSCO.L and Marks & Spencer MKS.L , face potential tariffs for re-exporting goods to the European Union, their trade body said, amid warnings this could make Britain less competitive.
* JOBS: Britain's job market strengthened for the first time in three months in December, before a renewed lockdown this month, with an increase in permanent hiring and a small rise in the number of vacancies, a monthly survey of recruiters showed.
* ECONOMY: A wave of optimism washed over bosses of major British companies in December, ahead of a tightening of COVID-19 restrictions this month, even though many thought it would take a long time to recover fully from the pandemic, a survey showed.
* COVID-19: Britain's government will require people entering England to present a negative COVID-19 test result on arrival starting next week to protect against new strains of the coronavirus from other countries, the government said.
* GOLD: Gold inched lower as the U.S. dollar and Treasury yields firmed, although hopes for additional stimulus in the world's largest economy kept bullion on course for a second straight weekly gain.
* OIL: Oil prices held near 11-month highs and were on track for a strong weekly gain as Saudi Arabia's pledge to cut output continued to buoy market sentiment.
* The UK blue-chip index .FTSE closed 0.2% higher on Thursday as investors bet on a bigger U.S. stimulus package under a Democrat administration, while retailer Sainsbury jumped after raising its profit outlook.
* UK CORPORATE DIARY:
Marks and Spencer Group Plc
Q3 trading statement Barratt Developments Plc
* For more on the factors affecting European stocks, please click on:
TODAY'S UK PAPERS
> Financial Times
> Other business headlines
Reporting by Priyanshi Mandhan in Bengaluru
Disclaimer: The XM Group entities provide execution-only service and access to our Online Trading Facility, permitting a person to view and/or use the content available on or via the website, is not intended to change or expand on this, nor does it change or expand on this. Such access and use are always subject to: (i) Terms and Conditions; (ii) Risk Warnings; and (iii) Full Disclaimer. Such content is therefore provided as no more than general information. Particularly, please be aware that the contents of our Online Trading Facility are neither a solicitation, nor an offer to enter any transactions on the financial markets. Trading on any financial market involves a significant level of risk to your capital.
All material published on our Online Trading Facility is intended for educational/informational purposes only, and does not contain – nor should it be considered as containing – financial, investment tax or trading advice and recommendations; or a record of our trading prices; or an offer of, or solicitation for, a transaction in any financial instruments; or unsolicited financial promotions to you.
Any third-party content, as well as content prepared by XM, such as: opinions, news, research, analyses, prices and other information or links to third-party sites contained on this website are provided on an “as-is” basis, as general market commentary, and do not constitute investment advice. To the extent that any content is construed as investment research, you must note and accept that the content was not intended to and has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research and as such, it would be considered as marketing communication under the relevant laws and regulations. Please ensure that you have read and understood our Notification on Non-Independent Investment. Research and Risk Warning concerning the foregoing information, which can be accessed here.