UK Stocks-Factors to watch on July 29
Britain's FTSE 100 .FTSE index is seen opening 11 points lower at 6,118 on Wednesday, according to financial bookmakers.
* GSK: Sanofi SASY.PA and GSK GSK.L said they had reached an agreement with Britain to supply it with up to 60 million doses of a potential COVID-19 vaccine.
* RETAIL: British retailers discounted their goods less in July than the month before, after consumer demand picked up in many sectors as coronavirus lockdown restrictions eased, data from the British Retail Consortium showed.
* OFGEM: Britain's energy market regulator Ofgem proposed measures on Wednesday to tackle what it called unscrupulous energy brokers so small businesses could get fairer energy deals.
* GOVERNMENT FUND: Britain has announced a 500 million-pound ($647 million) fund to help television and film companies restart productions after companies complained they were unable to get insurance because of the coronavirus pandemic.
* OIL: Oil prices rose after an industry report showed that crude inventories in the United States fell against expectations, giving the market a boost amid record increases of coronavirus infections in the U.S. and elsewhere.
* The UK blue-chip index .FTSE closed up 0.4% on Tuesday, as investors hedged with defensive stocks ahead of some keenly awaited events such as a U.S. Federal Reserve meeting and a decision on a U.S. stimulus plan.
* UK CORPORATE DIARY:
HY Earnings Releases Unite Group
HY Earnings Releases Dignity
HY Earnings Releases Jupiter Fund Management
HY Earnings Releases Barclays
BARC.L HY Earnings Releases Smith & Nephew
HY Earnings Releases Next PLC
Q2 Trading Statement Tullow Oil
HY Trading Statement Lancashire Holdings Ltd
Q2 Earnings Releases AVEVA Group
Q1 Trading Statement Drax Group
HY Earnings Releases Weir Group
WEIR.L HY Earnings Releases Rio Tinto
HY Earnings Releases Premier Foods
Q1 Trading Statement GlaxoSmithKline
Q2 Earnings Releases
* For more on the factors affecting European stocks, please click on:
TODAY'S UK PAPERS
> Financial Times
> Other business headlines
Reporting by Tapanjana Rudra
Disclaimer: The XM Group entities provide execution-only service and access to our Online Trading Facility, permitting a person to view and/or use the content available on or via the website, is not intended to change or expand on this, nor does it change or expand on this. Such access and use are always subject to: (i) Terms and Conditions; (ii) Risk Warnings; and (iii) Full Disclaimer. Such content is therefore provided as no more than general information. Particularly, please be aware that the contents of our Online Trading Facility are neither a solicitation, nor an offer to enter any transactions on the financial markets. Trading on any financial market involves a significant level of risk to your capital.
All material published on our Online Trading Facility is intended for educational/informational purposes only, and does not contain – nor should it be considered as containing – financial, investment tax or trading advice and recommendations; or a record of our trading prices; or an offer of, or solicitation for, a transaction in any financial instruments; or unsolicited financial promotions to you.
Any third-party content, as well as content prepared by XM, such as: opinions, news, research, analyses, prices and other information or links to third-party sites contained on this website are provided on an “as-is” basis, as general market commentary, and do not constitute investment advice. To the extent that any content is construed as investment research, you must note and accept that the content was not intended to and has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research and as such, it would be considered as marketing communication under the relevant laws and regulations. Please ensure that you have read and understood our Notification on Non-Independent Investment. Research and Risk Warning concerning the foregoing information, which can be accessed here.