Chipmakers knock stocks ahead of U.S. payrolls, Credit Suisse up

By Huw Jones

LONDON, Oct 7 (Reuters) - Stocks eased on Friday as Federal Reserve officials talked up the likelihood of more hefty U.S. interest rate hikes, though battered Credit Suisse Group CSGN.S rose after announcing a $3 billion bond buyback to steady investors nerves.

Worries over the global economy deepened after chipmakers Samsung 005930.KS and AMD AMD.O flagged a slump in demand, blaming inflation, higher interest rates and the impact of Russia's invasion of Ukraine. European chipmakers Infineon, STMicroelectronics and ASML fell in tandem.

Weak German industrial production in August provided further evidence that Europe's biggest economy continues to slide into recession, ING bank said.

The dollar and crude oil prices firmed ahead of key U.S. jobs data before the opening bell on Wall Street.

In Europe, the STOXX .STOXX index of 600 leading companies was down 0.2%, but still heading for its largest weekly gain since late July. It is down about 19% for the year.

Valuations show markets are beginning to discount many of their problems as supply bottlenecks ease and with hopes of a peak in interest rates in the not too distant future, said Patrick Spencer, vice chairman of equities at Baird Investment Bank.

The immediate focus is on earnings for the United States and whether consumers are holding up in the teeth of rate hikes, Spencer said.

"Bank earnings start next week from Morgan Stanley, JP Morgan, Wells Fargo and Citi. That's going to be a pretty good indication because they all have big credit card businesses and they'll give us a very good indication on the consumer," Spencer said.

On Friday, Credit Suisse was a standout, the Swiss bank's shares were up 4.2% after announcing it will buy back up to 3 billion Swiss francs of debt following steep falls in its stock price on unsubstantiated rumours that its future was in doubt.

The MSCI All Country stock index .MIWD00000PUS fell 0.3%, leaving it down about 24% for the year so far.

After Bank of England intervention to prop up gilts, the UK markets will tune into BoE Deputy Governor Dave Ramsden, who speaks at 1025 GMT on economic shocks and monetary policy.


U.S. stock index futures EScv1 were down 0.3%, after the S&P 500 index .SPX dropped 1% overnight. U.S. non-farm payrolls for September is due before the opening bell on Wall Street.

A Reuters poll predicts 250,000 jobs were created in September after rising 315,000 in August, while the unemployment rate is expected to remain at 3.7%.

"Today, it is the US labor market report, which is likely to paint a picture of some softening, but not to an extent that can be expected to fuel any twist in the rhetoric of US central bankers. Next week, it all comes down to the US inflation release," UniCredit analysts said in a note to clients.

In Asia, Japan's Nikkei .N225 dropped 0.7%, while South Korea's Kospi .KS11 slipped 0.2%, weighed partly by a decline in Samsung shares.

Hong Kong's Hang Seng .HSI was 1.4% lower, with its tech stocks .HSTECH tumbling 3%. Mainland Chinese shares remain closed for the final day of the Golden Week holiday.

Fed officials showed no intention of backing down from the most aggressive rate hike campaign in decades, with Fed Governor Lisa Cook, Chicago Fed President Charles Evans and Minneapolis Fed President Neel Kashkari all emphasising that the inflation fight was ongoing and they were not prepared to change course.

Markets currently price in an 87.7% chance of a 75 basis point increase for next month's Federal Open Market Committee meeting, and 12.3% odds for a half point bump. FEDWATCH

The yield on the benchmark 10-year Treasury note US10YT=RR was at 3.8489%.

The dollar index .DXY , which tracks the greenback versus a basket of six major peers, was little changed at 112.165 following a 1.84% two-day rally from a two-week low.

Sterling GBP=D3 gained 0.4% to $1.12, while the euro EUR=EBS gained 0.19% to $0.9811.

Crude oil on Friday steadied after a rapid climb triggered by OPEC+ output cuts announced this week.

Brent crude LCOc1 edged up 0.3% to $94.71 a barrel. WTI crude CLc1 futures were up 0.3% at $88.69 a barrel.

World FX rates YTD Link
Global asset performance Link
Asian stock markets Link
Glimmer of hope Link

Reporting by Kevin Buckland; Editing by Christopher Cushing
and Elaine Hardcastle

Ansvarsfriskrivning: XM Group-enheter tillhandahåller sin tjänst enbart för exekvering och tillgången till vår onlinehandelsplattform, som innebär att en person kan se och/eller använda tillgängligt innehåll på eller via webbplatsen, påverkar eller utökar inte detta, vilket inte heller varit avsikten. Denna tillgång och användning omfattas alltid av i) villkor, ii) riskvarningar och iii) fullständig ansvarsfriskrivning. Detta innehåll tillhandahålls därför uteslutande som allmän information. Var framför allt medveten om att innehållet på vår onlinehandelsplattform varken utgör en uppmaning eller ett erbjudande om att ingå några transaktioner på de finansiella marknaderna. Handel på alla finansiella marknader involverar en betydande risk för ditt kapital.

Allt material som publiceras på denna sida är enbart avsett för utbildnings- eller informationssyften och innehåller inte – och ska inte heller anses innehålla – rådgivning och rekommendationer om finansiella frågor, investeringsskatt eller handel, dokumentation av våra handelskurser eller ett erbjudande om, eller en uppmaning till, en transaktion i finansiella instrument eller oönskade finansiella erbjudanden som är riktade till dig.

Tredjepartsinnehåll, liksom innehåll framtaget av XM såsom synpunkter, nyheter, forskningsrön, analyser, kurser, andra uppgifter eller länkar till tredjepartssajter som återfinns på denna webbplats, tillhandahålls i befintligt skick, som allmän marknadskommentar, och utgör ingen investeringsrådgivning. I den mån som något innehåll tolkas som investeringsforskning måste det noteras och accepteras att innehållet varken har varit avsett som oberoende investeringsforskning eller har utarbetats i enlighet med de rättsliga kraven för att främja ett sådant syfte, och därför är att betrakta som marknadskommunikation enligt tillämpliga lagar och föreskrifter. Se till så att du har läst och förstått vårt meddelande om icke-oberoende investeringsforskning och riskvarning om ovannämnda information, som finns här.

Vi använder cookies för att ge dig den bästa upplevelsen på vår webbplats. Läs mer eller ändra dina cookie-inställningar.

Riskvarning: Ditt kapital riskeras. Hävstångsprodukter passar kanske inte alla. Se vår riskinformation.