Gold rises as G7 nations move to ban bullion imports from Russia
June 27 (Reuters) - Gold prices firmed on Monday, as some Western nations' plans to ban imports of the metal from Russia for its invasion of Ukraine, signalled potentially tighter supplies of bullion.
* Spot gold XAU= was up 0.2% at $1,828.99 per ounce by 0102 GMT. U.S. gold futures GCv1 were flat at $1,830.90.
* Four of the Group of Seven (G7) rich nations moved to ban imports of Russian gold on Sunday to tighten the sanctions squeeze on Moscow and cut off its means of financing the invasion of Ukraine.
* But it was not clear whether there was G7 consensus on the plan, with European Council President Charles Michel saying the issue would need to be handled carefully and discussed further.
* Elsewhere, a pair of U.S. central bankers said on Friday they supported further sharp interest rate hikes to stem rapid price rises, even as investors cheered economic data showing inflation expectations to be less worrisome than initially feared.
* Gold is seen as a hedge against inflation, but higher interest rates raise the opportunity cost of holding bullion, which yields no interest.
* The International Monetary Fund slashed its U.S. economic growth forecast on Friday, as aggressive Federal Reserve interest rate hikes cool demand but predicted that the United States would "narrowly" avoid a recession.
* Gold prices fell last week as looming interest rate hikes weighed, despite seeing some gains on Friday as the dollar retreated and recession fears buoyed its safe-haven appeal.
* SPDR Gold Trust GLD , the world's largest gold-backed exchange-traded fund, said its holdings fell 0.2% to 1,061.04 tonnes on Friday from 1,063.07 tonnes a day earlier.
* Spot silver XAG= rose 0.2% to $21.15 per ounce, platinum XPT= gained 0.2% to $908.99, and palladium XPD= was up 0.2% to $1,880.69.
Reporting by Bharat Govind Gautam in Bengaluru; Editing by Rashmi Aich
免責聲明: XM Group提供線上交易平台的登入和執行服務，允許個人查看和/或使用網站所提供的內容，但不進行任何更改或擴展其服務和訪問權限，並受以下條款與條例約束：（i）條款與條例；（ii）風險提示；（iii）完全免責聲明。網站內部所提供的所有資訊，僅限於一般資訊用途。請注意，我們所有的線上交易平台內容並不構成，也不被視為進入金融市場交易的邀約或邀請 。金融市場交易會對您的投資帶來重大風險。